Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Rolling Stone 500: (495) New Day Rising by Hüsker Dü [1985]

So I tend not to like hardcore punk because what I know about it is contemporary. But "New Day Rising" is really, really good! The guitars are fuzzed out. The singing is, well, actual singing. I mean, I like 70's punk, but contemporary hardcore punk sounds pretty stupid usually. This sounds like sped up garage rock and I love garage rock...and speed (or not). The vocals sound a bit pop-y, but not whinny like contemporary bands. Another plus.

Really, there is not much bad to say about "New Day Rising." It opens strong with the title track and gets better with "I Apologize." A lot of this sounds like a faster, more aggressive R.E.M. Okay, there is one problem, just to be picky. The production is kind of bad. I wish the vocals were mixed as poorly as they were. A lot of the words just turn to mush. At least the guitars come in really good. A nice buzzsaw sound.

"Terms of Psychic Warfare" is pretty much a 60's garage rock song straight off the Nuggets compilation with a cool bass part. But as the record gets towards the end, it seems to drop off in quality. None of it is bad, just not as good as the first half. Maybe it is just me though. I think I have written that about most of the other records. Maybe I just get tired of the sound after listening to them all the way through? Maybe.

And it's cool to write Hüsker Dü. I'm just saying...

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment