Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Track of the Week: "Stay Forever" by Ween

Ween can pretty much do any music style ever and do it well. Not many bands can do that and maybe only the Beatles did it better. On "Stay Forever," Ween do the whole pretty Beatles ballad and it works. Boy does it work. Actually, I think if John Lennon hadn't been murdered and the Beatles had been able to get back together they would have sounded like the album this track appears on, White Pepper. (And if you believe an uncited source on Wikipedia, the album title is in reference to the Beatles' The Beatles a.k.a. "The White Album," and Sgt. Pepper's)

I guess you can judge a good love song by the way it makes you feel when you hear. You can gauge how good any song or work of art is that way, but especially love songs. And I have to say, "Stay Forever" makes me all nostalgic for someone, not anyone in particular, but some made up person. If a song can make me miss someone I've never even met, then I'd say it is pretty good!

The slide guitar gives the song a slight country feel, but the production reminds me more of the great George Harrison-penned "Something." And the lyrics are so good. While they aren't some complicated prose like Bob Dylan, they, in a very straightforward way, paint a picture of longing, love, nostalgia mixed up with slight paranoia the other person does not feel the same. The singer loves, but is not sure that love is completely reciprocated. And while he is enthralled about this person, the chance that it is only on his part kept him from saying what he wanted to say.

And the production is really nice throughout the track.

The song (with kind of a dumb video, but whatever)


Live


Demo Version (nice, but a bit rough)


Lyrics
In the morning sun, I couldn't tell you
I couldn't tell you so many things
About how much I really love you
About how much you really mean
So far away but it's so easy to see you
When I'm away I want to put my arms around you
And I want to know - do you feel the same way?
'Cause if you do I want to stay forever
And I want to know - do you feel the same way?
'Cause if you do I want to stay forever
With you

So many colors that surround you
Some so bright I can hardly see
A light reflects on all the things that make you real
Things that make you truly free

So far away but it's so easy to see you
When I'm away I want to put my arms around you
And I want to know - do you feel the same way?
'Cause if you do I want to stay forever
And I want to know - do you feel the same way?
'Cause if you do I want to stay forever
With you

Stay Forever by Ween
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment