Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Track of the Week: Soul Kitchen by The Doors

Have you ever just gotten tired of a band, stopped listening to their music for awhile and then stumbled upon them again, rediscovering why you loved them? That happened to me a couple of weeks ago with the Doors. But sort of in a way roundabout way.

My brother started listening to a band, X-Japan, and wouldn't stop talking about them. I was not really impressed, but I remembered some hullabaloo on the page for the punk band X on Last.FM. Some of X-Japan's tracks were on the page and people were arguing which band was better. I like the punk X, but I had stopped listening to them for, maybe, six months. So I pulled out their music and started discovering songs I had heard before but for some reason just glossed over. One of the songs was drawn to was, "Soul Kitchen." I knew the song from somewhere and finally realized it is a Doors cover. That led me to start listening to the Doors again and, wouldn't you know, I found why I used to listen to them all the time!

"Soul Kitchen" is the prototypical Doors song, great organ, great singing, nice lyrics, but there is one thing that sets it apart....bass. There is actually a bass guitar played on the song and the Doors rarely used a bass guitarist. The song, according to Songfacts, is about a restaurant Jim Morrison loved to eat at.

Years later this band in Los Angeles records their first record and their producer is one Ray Manzarek. He played keyboards for the Doors and added himself to some of X's songs, though, strangely enough, not on their cover of "Soul Kitchen." And as great as the original is, X's version is vicious and actually outdoes the Doors'.

The Doors


X (an interview with Ray Manzarek precedes the song


Lyrics
Well, the clock says it's time to close now
I guess I'd better go now
I'd really like to stay here all night
The cars crawl past all stuffed with eyes
Street lights share their hollow glow
Your brain seems bruised with numb surprise
Still one place to go
Still one place to go

Let me sleep all night in your soul kitchen
Warm my mind near your gentle stove
Turn me out in a wander baby
Stumblin' in the neon groves

Well, your fingers weave quick minarets
Speak in secret alphabets
I light another cigarette
Learn to forget, learn to forget
Learn to forget, learn to forget

Let me sleep all night in your soul kitchen
Warm my mind near your gentle stove
Turn me out and I'll wander baby
Stumblin' in the neon groves

Well the clock says it's time to close now
I know I have to go now
I really want to stay here
All night, all night, all night

No comments:

Post a Comment