Saturday, August 13, 2011

Track of the Week: Life's a Gas by T. Rex

Electric Warrior
I obviously love T. Rex's 1971 record, Electric Warrior. My tumblr is named after a lyric from "Mambo Sun." But this week's track of the week comes toward the end of the album and is the opposite of "Mambo Sun." Whereas the opening track is about wanting to be with a girl, "Life's a Gas" is about what happens when things go wrong. It is pretty straight forward and similar to the Temptation's "Can't Get Next to You" lyrically during the verses. You have loving a girl like a planet, chaining a heart to a star, building houses, placing love in the sky, and on and on.


The difference lays in the chorus.
But it really doesn't matter at all / No it really doesn't matter at all / Life's a gas
So even though this time sucks, in the end it will not matter. And life is better than some bad time, no matter how nostalgic you can be over the good times. Of course you have Marc Bolan's great voice and the fuzzy electric guitar to fill everything out. Overall this is one of the best songs of the 1970s.

Studio


Live


Lyrics
I could have loved you girl
Like a planet
I could have chained your heart
To a star

But it really doesn't matter at all
No it really doesn't matter at all
Life's a gas
I hope it's gonna last

I could have built a house
On the ocean
I could have placed your love
In the sky.

But it really doesn't matter at all
No it really doesn't matter at all
Life's a gas

I could have turned you
Into a priestess
I could have burned
Your fate in the sand

But it really doesn't matter at all
No it really doesn't matter at all
Life's a gas

But it really doesn't matter at all
No it really doesn't matter at all
Life's a gas
I hope it's gonna last

But it really doesn't matter at all
No it really doesn't matter at all
Life's a gas

Sample
Life's a Gas by T. Rex
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment