Sunday, March 25, 2012

Track of the Week: I Stand Alone by Theophilus London

Theophilus London. Perhaps you have seen the rapper/producer/style icon in commercials for Bing, or heard of him on NPR, or at SXSW, or read about him on numerous blogs, or some girl, who would eventually become your girlfriend, kept telling you to listen to him even though you kept telling her you simply are bored with hip-hop because most of the last decade has been terrible but she won't stop bothering you about it. Well I am here to tell you that the man is for real. Last Fall I had the great pleasure to see Theophilus London in concert in Seattle. I wrote about the trip to Seattle and the concert on my personal blog. One of the best songs he performed that night was "I Stand Alone," released as a single in 2011 and on the LP Timez Are Weird These Days.



Evident in the song, and amplified live, is the incredible catchiness and sing-alongability (is that a thing?). Years of working on mixtapes and doing live shows has allowed London to find what works for him in his music. At the show, the entire crowd sang along during "I Stand Alone." The entire following week it stuck in my head, and in a good way too. Even though the music is great, the music video is even better somehow.

And, by the way, if you want proof that I met London, here is photographic evidence. (He did not seem particularly excited to meet me. I wonder why. I am so obviously awesome.)



Video


Lyrics
The journey starts beneath the stars I stand alone
I put all my fears to all these years, swept away they're known
And know I run this town to be near you
And no grey skies ever turn blue

I stand alone
I stand alone
I stand alone
I stand alone

The rain is phenomenal, the way that it falls
Slammin' down like a domino and lay in the moss
Said today is a new day, I'm lookin' for new prey
I'm tryin' to survive, tryin' to take in this loss
The clothes don't make the man
It's the man that makes the clothes
And if this war doesn't end there's nothing left to fight
And I'm sure you'll have it tonight

I stand alone
I stand alone
I stand alone (I run this town to be near you)
I stand alone (No grey skies ever turn blue)

It's the skill and the confidence
The will and the dominance
The deeper you get, the more the Reaper is prominent
When Uncle Sam knock on door
I tell him that I'm headed for the dock on the shore
Sailin' away, are you comin' with?
Just pack for the stay, cause we're finna get, get
The war don't end there's nothing left to fight
And I'm sure you'll have it tonight
'Til I stand alone

The journey starts beneath the stars I stand alone
I put all my fears to all these years, swept away the known
And know I run this town to be near you
And no grey skies ever turn blue

And I stand alone
I stand alone
I stand alone

Sample
I Stand Alone by Theophilus London
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment