Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Track of the Week: High School Lover by Cayucas

I have not blogged much recently. Thank you, work and life commitments! However, I have been making a concerted effort to listen to new music. A couple of blogs have helped me out in that endeavor, as has NPR's music offerings, Tiny Desk Concerts and All Songs Considered. One of the songs I heard will be this week's track of the week. It happens to be "High School Lover" by Cayucas off their newest, and first, LP, Bigfoot .


A band with a unique name, Cayucas has an interesting story to it. And here I quote their label, Secretly Canadian:
Cayucas: Pronounced "ky-yook-us", is the monikered homage to a sleepy little seaside town in San Luis Obispo County, California. That town, Cayucos, has hardly changed in the last 50 years, a far cry from the gentrified tourist traps parading showily down the nearby coastline. In the early 1960s, the surfing craze hit. There was one bar around which local kids congregated back then, the site of helpless crushes and fights and games of pool, a place whose jukebox soundtracked innumerable teenage years as breezy summers rolled into mild winters and back around again. The bar has since disappeared, but as Zach Yudin, the man behind the name, will tell you, the place still holds on tight to its propensity for dreamy, lazy, bonfire-lit nights worth getting moony-eyed about.
As for the song, I simply love it. Every time I play it, which is often, my girlfriend, +Jackie Eckles, makes the exact same comment, "Is that Beck?" So much so, in fact, does she make that comment, that now it is a running joke. What is not a joke, however, is how enjoyable it is to listen to "High School Lover." And while it was released in February, it is perfect for summer.

The drums pound out a consistent, danceable beat that is punctuated by guitar, allowing the singers voice to drone out lyrics that sound like they will fall off the tracks at any time. It is not a simply sung song. Each word on each line falls all over the place. It adds an effect of confusion to a song about awkwardness and confusion, and is used well here.

The chorus, with its "oh, oh's," begs to be sung along too. There is a 1960s influence all over. Listening will certainly bring a smile to your face each time it comes over your speakers (or through your headphones). I can not help but to bob my head and feel the summer warmth.

Video


Lyrics

"Are you goin' to the party on Saturday," she asked as if I didn't know.
See, ever since I saw you on the back of some guy's bicycle...
Well I've been feelin' kinda so-so.
So, girl don't act so surprised, got that look in your light-blue eyes, you can stop pretendin'.
Yeah, I been watchin' the movie all along, wonderin' if there was gonna be an ending
To the story, to the story, to the story--I guess I'll never know.
See, I was runnin' as fast as I could, sayin' the things I thought I should but it was just a little too slow.

Oh, Elizabeth, don't keep me guessin', I opened up the door and saw you undressin'.
The words came out, one after another.
You shoulda been my high school lover. Oh!
You shoulda been my Oh-ooo-woah.
You shoulda been my Oh-oh-oh.
You shoulda been my Oh-ooo-woah.
You shoulda been my Oh-oh.

 "Did you get the letters that I sent last summer," you asked again and again.
Well they been pilin' up on the top shelf in my closet,
Yeah, and I read them every now and then.
It's got me feelin' kinda stuck like "What the Fuck" is goin' on, someone tell me what is happening.
Yeah, you been actin' like you're too cool for far too long.
It's OK it's just kind of embarassin'.
See, I been sneakin', I been sneakin', I been sneakin', wonderin' just what I'll see.
You turned around and stared, you squinted, then you glared and I was leanin' back in the passenger seat.

Oh, Elizabeth, don't keep me guessin', I opened up the door and saw you undressin'.
The words came out, one after another.
You shoulda been my high school lover.
Oh! You shoulda been my Oh-ooo-woah.
You shoulda been my Oh-oh-oh.
You shoulda been my Oh-ooo-woah.
You shoulda been my Oh-oh.

High school lover
High school lover
High school lover
High school lover.

Sample

Listen to "High School Lover"

Buy It!



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment